How do I know if the animal needs help?
An animal always needs help if it:
- Shows signs of flies, worms, mites, or maggots.
- Was caught by a cat or dog, even if it seems fine.
- Has an open wound or is bleeding or swollen.
- Is a baby and the parent is known to be dead and can not be reunited.
- Suffered a severe trauma such as a fall from a high nest or impact with an automobile.
- Is cold to the touch.
- Is on the ground and unable to move.
Never attempt to capture an adult mammal or a large bird or reptile.
If you are uncertain about your particular circumstances, you can call the Wildlife Rescue League at 703.440.0800.